There is a lot to do in Lakewood. Here are my favorites. I’ll update this as I think of/experience more.
- Tacos, Whiskey, and Margaritas. Their beef is seasoned with cinnamon, would definitely recommend checking it out.
- Gourmet Grilled Cheese. Artery clogging goodness.
- Buckeye Beer Engine
- Great Burgers, Long list of beers and good service. Usually a wait, but worth it.
- Taco Tontos
- Best Mexican food in Lakewood, and it was right down the street from my house.
- Souper market
- good hearty soups, salads, and grilled cheese. A go-to in the colder months.
- Degan’s menu has something for everyone from Tacos to Flat Iron steak, but the menu only has one or two of each ‘kind’ of food. They are good at making a short list of entrees. Full bar. Lot’s of seating. Usually, a 30-45 minute wait for dinner.
- Hip joint that makes great arepas and Cuban sandwiches. It’s a pretty cool scene, make sure you sit in the back. Pretty much everything is good, but I have a soft spot in my heart for anything in a tortilla with sauce. Good date spot.
- Jammy Buggers
- Good food, but in the scheme of Lakewood – it’s a pretty average place in the terms of character but that’s a good thing when you just want some food and a beer and hangout.
- El Carnicero
- A Mexican place that greets you with a ten-foot glowing sign that says “TEQUILA” is going to be your favorite spot or one you avoid like the plague. The food is good, but kind of over-complicated and difficult to order at times. A huge selection of tequila. I’d call it the most hipster Mexican place in Lakewood.
Coffee / Breakfast
- The Root Cafe
- Root has really good coffee, and the food is even better. Don’t come here if you’re in a hurry- but like Buckeye Beer Engine, it’s well worth the wait. Wifi is a little slow when there a lot of people. The password is on the chalkboard wall by the kitchen.
- KB Confections
- Coffee is pretty good, but the pastries and service are unreal. Really. Check this place out. No Wifi that I know of.
- Black Bird Baking Company
- A baking-heavy (as the name implies) place. Average coffee, great pastries and atmosphere. Wifi is pretty average- bogs down with a crowd.
- Erie Island Coffee
- Great coffee, pastries are pretty good. Wifi is really good every time I go there. The password is by the register.
Bars On Detroit
- Around the Corner
- Bro bar that is okay if you have a big group of people and no one can decide where to go because there are a few different vibes rolled into one place. Multiple bars. Front bar has crab races (I'm not kidding), back bar is a dance club-type vibe, outside bar is enclosed with clear tarp-like stuff with heaters - which is my favorite area even in the winter. The Brunch isn't too bad either - bloody mary bar is battle tested and approved.
- West End
- Bro-ey af but the bar has a less bro-ey vibe than Around The Corner. It's more of a normal bar with slow-ish service when it's packed but not horrible. A good place to take people for a drink or two.
- Riverwood in Lakewood is the best bar in my opinion. The vibe is plain bar - sports bar-ish but the wings and service is one of the best in Lakewood for sure. Tons of people for games ($1.25 Coors Lights for Cleveland games) and a good mid to late twenty something vibe.
- Solid all-around bar. Bar area and through a narrow hallway, there is another room with a pool table and some other games.
- Side Quest
- Just as the name suggests, this is a nerdy bar. They have an array of specialty movie/game-based drinks. Can play a wide range of board games. Chill vibe.
- Mary Arts
- Game On
- Bobby O's
- Avenue Tap House
- 16 Bit
Bars On Madison
- Bottlehouse Brewery
- Buckeye Beer Engine
- Pier W
Cigars / Liquor stores
- Robusto and Briar – Cigars
- Really great service, huge humidor. I want to buy everything in this place.
- Liquor store. Average Liquor store but they have a pretty wide selection. Technically a 3 minute drive out of Lakewood into Rocky River.
- A lot of beer, liquor selection is alright. It’s located in a pretty good spot to pick something up while you’re out.
- Rozi’s Wine House
- TONS of beer, great selection if you’re looking for something new. Seasonal beer/wine tastings. Patio. Great hangout.
The Shit List
- The Gorilla
- I love BBQ. I want to love this place with all I’ve got- but it’s just not flattering. They close early, service is just okay and the food is ok to average quality. Brisket is good I’ve heard but I’ve had a few bad experiences in a row. I’m so sorry The Gorilla. Please make some changes.