After the up-teenth spam call (that the spammers actually told me GoDaddy sold my info to them), I'm slowly transferring all of my domains away from GoDaddy to Google domains because of the free whois privacy. They’re not the only ones who offer it, but I used another service previously and it went out of business and I had to transfer my domains away from the dead service. It was not fun. I'm sure Google Domains stays around long enough I don’t have to do that. As an added bonus, I'm going to be using Let's Encrypt for my domains - so Go Daddy will no longer be getting my SSL Certificate money either.
A stupid problem that spanned two days
Transferring the first domain to Google Domains, I got a contact information error.
We could not transfer (your domain here) because we were unable to determine its contact information:
Great. All of the info was correct and up to date. It was public. It was unlocked. I had the authorization code. All good to go, tried it again, same error. I went into my domain, hit edit contact info, it was all correct, hit SAVE this time. Transfer worked like a charm. I have no idea.
- Side Projects